What are the Benefits of a Plant Based Diet?
The Science Behind the Movement
People considering a vegan lifestyle often ask an important question: “How does veganism affect my health?” From shinier hair and stronger nails to a healthier heart, there are numerous advantages of a vegan diet. Read on to find out how a vegan diet positively affects your well-being.
How does veganism affect your health?
- Increased energy: In the first few weeks, you’ll notice a surprising boost in energy. This results from eating less processed meat and more fruits, vegetables, and nuts.
- Improved bowel function: Depending on the foods you ingest and the way your body responds to your new diet, you could experience healthier bowels movements.
- Clearer skin: A strict vegan diet can help clear up acne within the first few months. If you struggle with your complexion and regularly go to an aesthetician for services such as specialized acne treatments or microdermabrasion, you’ll see even better results by eating plant-based foods, too.
- Reduced risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes: One of the biggest advantages of a vegan diet is its impressive impact on cardiovascular health. According to research from the Imperial College London, eating 10 servings of fruit and vegetables a day lowers your risk of cancer, heart attack, and stroke.
- Better body odor: A positive change in body odor is one of the more surprising ways veganism affects your health. A study published by the Oxford University Press tells of the intriguing discoveries by researchers at Charles University, Prague. Body odor samples were collected from participating men and given to women to smell and rate according to pleasantness, sexual attractiveness, and intensity. Samples gathered from men who ate meat were rated less pleasant, less attractive, and more intense than samples from men who ate a plant-based diet.
- Improved PMS symptoms: Ladies, listen up. A vegan diet may help ease PMS symptoms by binding estrogen. You’ll also retain less hormones because you’re not eating hormone-ridden meat and dairy products.
- Better health during the winter: Fresh fruits and vegetables contribute to higher vitamin C levels, and removing meat and dairy products from your diet lowers your body’s acidity levels. High acidity can cause many diseases—including cancer.
It’s easy to see why so many people transition into a vegan lifestyle. Veganism improves physical health, which in turn contributes to a more positive mindset. And we haven’t even gone into how veganism benefits the planet! From treating your body to better health to positively impacting the planet, jump on the vegan train today.