10 Superfoods to Promote Healthy Hair and Glowing Skin
The secret to beautiful hair and healthy skin? Well, the secret is hiding in plain sight - it’s the food we eat! We’re all aware, to some extent, how good we feel when we’re eating right. Avoiding unhealthy food can help us keep our blood pressure in check, protect our organs, protect ourselves from obesity, etc. However, the right diet can not only eliminate the negatives but bring about enormous positive changes in your body. And since your body is literally made up of what you eat, a balanced diet can promote healthy hair and skin. And while there is no ‘right’ diet, certains foods give your hair and skin the nutrition they need. Here are ten superfoods which, if eaten regularly, will give you healthy hair and glowing skin.
1. ChiaChia seeds are a nutritional powerhouse packed with Omega-3 fatty acids which are essential for your hair and skin. Omega-3 improves skin-barrier function, retaining moisture and keeping irritants like dust and germs at bay. This nutrient also promotes circulation of blood to the scalp, helping to trigger hair growth and reducing hair fall. Source: indiamart.com Chia also contains anti-inflammatory properties which keep your skin cool, preventing redness and acne outbursts. Finally, chia seeds are rich in antioxidants which neutralize free radicals, helping to minimize cell damage which can result in skin aging and hair loss.
2. ReishiAmong traditional Chinese medicinal practitioners, the reishi mushroom is known as the “Herb of Immortality”. Source: healthline.com Apart from its anti-inflammatory properties and ability to slow aging, this exotic fungus is rich in polysaccharides, a compound responsible for the skin’s natural ability to stay hydrated. Polysaccharides also aid in the repair of skin cells which lead to a reduction in dark spots and leave you with a natural, healthy glow. The antioxidants in reishi strengthen its healing properties by fighting free radicals which damage the cells. Now you know why we include it in our Chocolate Magic blend! Most importantly, reishi mushroom has the ability to block a compound called DTH (Dihydrotestosterone), a hormone responsible for hair loss.
3. BlueberriesThe US department of Food and Agriculture ranked blueberries as the food with the highest antioxidant activity among 40 other fruits and vegetables. This makes it an excellent source of protection against cell damage from free radicals. Source: healthline.com But the main reason to add blueberries to your diet is because they are rich in Vitamin-C and anthocyanin - compounds which help your body build collagen. Collagen is a protein that aids in the healthy growth of cells and blood vessels all over the body. It also gives your skin elasticity and plumps up your hair to give you thicker, wavy locks.
4. KiwiThis fuzzy brown fruit is packed with Vitamin-C and antioxidants, both of which help to create firmer, healthier skin, drastically reducing the appearance of wrinkles. But kiwi has many more benefits for the hair. Source: medicalnewstoday.com It’s rich in Vitamin-K, E, folate, and potassium, all of which can help to smooth the hair and prevent greying. It also contains zinc, a nutrient which is essential to facilitate hair growth and repair tissue. Zinc also lubricates the scalp, reviving the roots and nourishing and moisturising new hair follicles.
5. AvocadoPerhaps one of the most potent foods out there when it comes to skin and hair. Avocado is packed with monounsaturated fatty acids needed for moisturising the skin and the scalp. This fruit is also rich in antioxidants, potassium, magnesium, and folate, all nutrients that help to reduce inflammation and stress, both of which are detrimental to skin and hair. Source: bbcgoodfood.com An added benefit of avocados is that they act as nutrient boosters and help the body absorb nutrients more efficiently from other foods.
6. FlaxseedsFlaxseeds are rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, both of which are known to soothe conditions like eczema and acne. Omega fatty acids also aid in skin-cell renewal and boost blood flow to the scalp, triggering hair growth. Source: healthline.com Additionally, flaxseeds are rich in fiber, which is essential for digestion and aids in maximum absorption of nutrients from what we eat. So having a small cup of flax seeds everyday can help your body get the most out of the other foods on this list.
7. CacaoWhile it may seem too good to be true, cacao can contribute to keeping your skin and hair healthy. Dark chocolate contains antioxidants called flavonoids which protect your skin and scalp from harmful UV rays. These flavonoids also fight free radicals that cause wrinkles and skin discoloration, improving the texture and appearance of your skin. Source: medicalnewstoday.com 100% cacao also contains iron and zinc, which enhance cell growth and increase blood flow to the surface of the skin and the scalp. This helps to facilitate a more effective transfer of nutrients, leading the healthier, fuller hair.
8. QuinoaThis little-known grain is slowly rising in popularity thanks to the recent discovery of all the nutrients it provides. The main reason quinoa is on this list is thanks to its abundance of protein and essential amino acids, which happen to be the building blocks of all the cells in your body. So a bowl of quinoa a day can help your skin and hair repair cell damage by renewing and regenerating old cells while boosting the growth of new cells. Source: bbcgoodfood.com
9. SeaweedSeaweed is rich in antioxidants, zinc, selenium, iron, omega-3, and copper - everything you need for glowing skin and thick hair. Source: healthline.com But one of the most important reasons to add seaweed to your diet is the fact that it’s rich in iodine. Without this compound, cells can be hard-pressed to replenish and regenerate themselves. Iodine helps to regulate moisture levels in the scalp and triggers cellular function in the lower levels of the skin. A regular dose of seaweed can give your body the necessary regenerative capabilities it needs to counter cell damage and protect the skin and scalp.
10. Sweet PotatoSweet potato is probably one of the most nutritious foods to ever exist, providing our body with a host of minerals and vitamins. In regard to your skin and hair, sweet potato is rich in beta-carotene, a compound which turns into Vitamin-A in the body. A drop in Vitamin-A levels can lead to dry and dull skin, and a regular diet of sweet potato can give your skin that soft, supple, and natural glow. This nutrient also helps to get rid of dark circles, making your eyes look sharp and radiant. Source: chicago.suntimes.com Aside from its benefits for the skin, Vitamin-A also aids in the production of sebum, an oil secreted by the scalp which helps prevent hair follicles from drying out and breaking.
Get Started!These are a list of superfoods that, if consumed regularly, can bring about a positive transformation in the quality and appearance of your skin and hair. That's why we include some them in our organic Chocolate Magic protein blend! While holistic beauty products can do their bit, the nutrition required by your skin and hair cannot be replaced. And if we consume a diet rich in nutrients that aids in cell growth and repair, we’re sure to be amazed at the results.