Benefits of Chia Seed Protein 🌿
You might wonder, "Why did the Planet Protein team add chia seeds to their tasty, lovely, unbelievable, best ever Chocolate Magic blend?!" Well, chia seeds are among the healthiest & most sustainable foods on the planet. Shout out to the Aztecs & the Mayans for introducing these seeds all over the world! They used chia for their ability to provide sustainable, long-lasting energy. "Chia" is actually the ancient Mayan word for "strength." Here are some benefits of chia that you might not have known! 🌿
1. MASSIVE Amount of Nutrients
One ounce of chia seeds contains:
🌱 4g protein⠀
🌱 11g fiber⠀
🌱 9g omega 3’s⠀
🌱 18% calcium⠀
🌱 30% magnesium⠀
🌱 b vitamins & zinc⠀
2. Chia May Reduce Inflammation & Lower Risk of Heart DiseaseInflammation is your body’s normal response to infection or injury. Although inflammation helps your body heal and fight off bacteria, viruses, and other infectious agents, inflammation can sometimes cause harm! Various unhealthy lifestyle habits increase risk of chronic inflammation, including smoking, lack of exercise, & a poor diet. One 3-month study in 20 people with diabetes showed that eating 37 grams of chia seeds daily reduced the inflammatory marker hs-CRP by 40%! Other studies show that chia seeds can lower certain risk factors like insulin resistance and heart disease. 💛
3. Boost Energy, Metabolism, and Reduce ConstipationChia seeds are packed with B vitamins, zinc, iron, and magnesium – all of which help boost energy. You can add the seeds to your favorite smoothie, juice, or pancakes. The University of New Hampshire says chia boosts metabolism, too! Chia is packed with fiber, especially insoluble fiber. They turn into a gel when they come in contact with water. This aids bowel movements, relieving constipation and improving digestion. #HealthyPoopTalk 😊
4. Good for Bone and Teeth HealthStudies show that increased consumption of calcium-rich foods, like chia seeds, can improve skeletal health. Chia seeds are also rich in manganese which is crucial for maintaining strong bones & teeth. They are also rich in phosphorus, which has been found to enhance bone health. The presence of antioxidants in chia seeds can also protect your teeth from damage. Our Planet Fam LOVES that the Magic helps them maintain strength in their bones & teeth! 💪
5. Great Substitute for Eggs in Recipes!Did you know you can use chia seeds as a substitute for eggs?! The process is simple. All you need is 1 tablespoon of chia seeds and 3 tablespoons of water. Mix the seeds with water in a small bowl. Keep it aside for 5 minutes, the mixture will thicken, similar to a raw egg yolk. You can also use Chocolate Magic as an egg substitute in recipes! Mix 1 scoop with about 1/4 cup plant milk and this will make a thick consistency that can replace eggs in baked goods, pancakes, muffins, waffles... you name it! No animal products needed.
What Recipes Can You Make with Chia Seeds?Since our Chocolate Magic contains chia seeds, try any of the recipes in our e-books or Instagram! 🌱 Below is a recipe for a chocolate salted caramel chia-seed pudding:
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 2 scoops Chocolate Magic
- 3 tbs cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 3 cups plant based mylk (add more if needed)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dates (pitted)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1.5 cups water
- In a small bowl mix together the chia seeds, cacao powder, Chocolate Magic, maple syrup, plant mylk, and vanilla extract. Once everything is combined well, pop it in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- For the caramel sauce soak the pitted dates in water for about 10 minutes. Then transfer the dates and soaking water to a blender or food processor, add the vanilla extract and a generous pinch of salt. Blitz until smoooooooth and creamyyyyy.
- Spoon the chia pudding into two glasses and top with the salted caramel sauce!